Recognition and Awards
The Fortier Manufacturing Complex has been recognized with five awards for the site’s start-up of the Jefferson Parish Landfill Gas Project, a partnership between the parish, Fortier and Renovar Corporation. Renovar designed a process to take gas from wells at the Jefferson Parish Sanitary Landfill, compress it and send it by pipeline to Fortier, where the energy content is utilized. The energy is used to preheat combustion air in the Sulfuric Acid regeneration plant and to heat an AOG Boiler in the Acrylonitrile Plant. The project has been recognized as a winner of the following:
- Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) Project of the Year for 2006;
- Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) 2006 Landfill Gas Utilization Bronze Excellence Award;
- American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care® Energy Efficiency Award for Public Outreach – Project;
- Air and Waste Management Association – Louisiana Section’s 2007 Outstanding Achievement Award;
- Louisiana Environmental Leadership Award, sponsored by LDEQ.
Fortier has been recognized by numerous carriers including CSX, Union Pacific, Canadian National and Kansas City Southern for its safety and excellence in loading and preparing railcars for safe transport and zero leaks. Several awards have been presented to the site for consecutive years. In 2007 the Association of American Railroads recognized Fortier as a recipient of its Non-Accident Release (NAR) Grand Slam Award for 2006. Fortier is one of only five companies to receive this safety award from the AAR, which only awards companies who have been recognized for no NARs by a minimum of four Class I railroads in the same year.
Other past awards recognizing Fortier’s efforts have included:
- the Louisiana Chemical Association’s Serious About Fostering Excellence (SAFE) Certificate of Achievement,
- the Governor’s Environmental Leadership Award (Pollution Prevention Achievement and Outstanding Community Involvement and Outreach) and
- the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 6 Environmental Excellence Award.
[ Return to Top ]